Sunday, February 5, 2012

Would A Title In Any Other Font Look Just As Sweet?

So many people (myself included) often overlook the value of a proper title design.  Sure, I appreciate one when I see it, but it's not something that I usually take into account when looking back at the film/video as a whole.  Why is that?  Maybe I'm just part of a generation that grew up with title sequences that relied too heavily on CGI and stock fonts.  Like others, I was blown away by the superb opening sequence in the US remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  I hadn't seen a movie title sequence that good in a long time.  It almost felt like it was the first one I had ever seen.  The titles for TV's True Blood and Dexter, both created by Digital Kitchen here in Chicago, are also great examples of where the bar has recently been set in this arena.

I just stumbled across an amazing video by Dutch creative designer Jurgen Versteeg.  It's a thesis project designed to highlight the history of title sequences and the artists who have defined the medium.  For me, it's an important reminder of the weight a good title sequence can carry.  It's easy to notice that not just the titles had a huge impact on the film world.  The movies they introduced also re-defined their respective genres.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  But who's to say...



For more information about the making of this video, check out the article at: Forget the Film, Watch the Titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment